Tudor Food Recipe
To make the best Pancakes
To make fine Pan-cakes fryed without Butter or Lard. Take a pint of Cream, and six new laid Egs, beat them very well together, put in a quarter of a pound of Sugar, and one Nutmeg or a little beaten Mace (which you please) and so much flower as will thicken almost as much as ordinarily Pan-cake batter; your Pan must be heated reasonably hot & wiped with a clean Cloth, this done put in your Batter as thick or thin as you please.
Pancakes Tudor Food Recipe
The above Tudor recipe for Pancakes is written in totally different fashion to modern recipe books!
- There were no lists of ingredients in Tudor recipes - these were included as part of the text
- Ingredient measurements were extremely basic during the Tudors era and quantities were not often specified!
- Temperature control was difficult and therefore not specified - this was left to the cook
- Cooking times were also vague and left to the cook
- It was assumed that the person reading the recipe would already have some knowledge of cooking
The History of the Recipe Book
- Some of the language might be referred to as 'Olde English'
- The art of cooking and the recipe was passed verbally from one generation to the next
- The first printed book ever to be published in English was in 1474!
- Many Tudor women were unable to read
- The idea of a Recipe Book was an entirely new concept in the renaissance period of the Tudors
- The first Recipe Books to be printed in England which included many old Tudor and Medieval recipes were called:
- 1545 - 'A Propre new booke of Cokery'
- 1588 - 'The Good Huswifes Handmaid for Cookerie in her kitchen'
- 1596 - 'The Good Hyswife's Jewell'
- 1610 'Mrs. Sarah Longe her Receipt Booke'
The above Old recipe is taken from the book entitled:
The Compleat Cook
Expertly Prescribing The Most Ready Wayes, Whether Italian, Spanish Or French, For Dressing Of Flesh And Fish, Ordering Of Sauces Or Making Of Pastry
Printed by E.B. for Nath. Brook , at the Angel in Cornhill , 1658
Each section of this Tudors website addresses all topics and provides interesting facts and information about Pancakes. The Sitemap provides full details of all of the information and facts provided about the fascinating subject of the Tudors!